To work in Sweden

Applying for residence card or registration certificate

As of April 2006 EU/EEA citizens and their familymembers no longer need residence permits for staying in Sweden for more than three months. EU/EEA citizens shall instead register their right of residence and familymembers who are not EU/EEA citizens shall apply for residence cards.

If you already have submitted an application for residencepermit but not yet received a decision, you will instead receive a registration certificate or a residence card.

For further information: The Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket).


Applying for Swedish authorization

Before you are allowed to start working as a physician, dentist or as a nurse in Sweden, you have to apply for a Swedish authorization. This is issued by the Swedish Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen). The rules varies depending of which country you got your education.

Further information: The National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen).


Getting a personal ID number

Having a personal ID number makes a lot of things much easier in Sweden. For instance for us to pay your salary and for you to get a bank account, rent a telephone, get an apartment contract, take a private insurance and many other things.

The personal ID number is issued by the local tax authority and consists of your birth number and an additional 4 numbers. When you go to the local tax authority, bring your passport or your ID where your citizenship is shown.

If you bring your partner and children the tax authority will ask for your marriage license and the birth certificates of your children. It is also important that you tell the authority your new address. Finally, the authority will ask for your employment offer or your employment contract.

For further information: The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket)


Social Insurance in Sweden (Försäkringskassan)

Social insurance is an important part of the Swedish social security system. The Swedish social insurance covers everyone that lives or works in Sweden. It provides financial protection for families and children, for persons with a disability and in connection with illness, work injury and old age.

Through the Swedish membership of the EU, you may also be eligible for social insurance benefits in other EU member states. For further information about the social insurance: The Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan).


The bank

Getting an account for your salary, a credit card, autogiro or private giro is also something that is high on your priority list and should be dealt with as soon as possible. Provided of course that you have got your personal ID number.

Paying bills is easily done on internet. Ask for this in your bank.